Friday, February 4, 2011

LV Documents Fremont Street

Robert Farnham and I were partners on this shoot. I had heard that a section of the Berlin Wall was in the men's restroom in the Union Plaza. I was sure of it. Heather our instructor said she was sure it was at the Main Street Station. Well we went looking and didn't find it at the Union Plaza but then I remembered there was a place you could see all the way down Fremont Street. Sure enough the pool had been converted to the Fire Fly Restaurant. It was no longer in service but we had a great view from there all the way down Fremont Street. When I woke up Thursday morning it was cold, in the 20's. Bob and I had so many layers of clothes on we started overheating as we were inside shooting instead of being outside in the cold. Not a bad problem to have. We started pealing off layers. We found some glasses and cards and a Hershey's kiss and set up a photo shoot. It wasn't until Bob pulled out the Martini Glass that I started cracking up. "Hey Bob I found an old olive on the floor over there" So we put the petrified olive in the Martini Glass filled with 7 up. It looked good. Bob had to leave soon so we were off to find the Berlin Wall. Sure enough it was right where Heather said it was. We got security to keep all the patrons out while I went in and took pictures. The security guard was very friendly and says he gets this a lot and is used to taking women in the men's restroom. The roomer was that there was originally a trough type of urinal so you could see the wall better. However apparently many people didn't like the wall or what it stood for so they would pee all over the wall instead of in the urinals. Now there is individual urinals. What a shame. You really can't see the big picture of what the wall looks like any more. Bob left and I got a new partner Jim from Kingman. We did some shooting on the Main drag for a while, then Harriet called and we met up at the 4 Queens, we walked down to Fremont and Maryland. We found some really wonderful subjects to take pictures of. We were walking and I saw there were people in this shop. It was a boxing studio. I knocked on the door, they unlocked it (very suspiciously seeing how there were 2 very white older women at the door) and asked if we could take pictures of someone with boxing gloves on. They were very nice and invited us in and had a couple of guys get gloves on the I suggested they get in the ring. It was really quite fun. The clicks were going as fast as we could go. We then started back and met up with Heather and the group of class members and walked around for a while. Found an empty pool, a place where a homeless person was living and some great textures to shoot. I think this will be a fun class. The first week was.

0 comments: